Do's and don'ts of writing a business planThere are some basic rules when it comes to writing a business plan, which can save you a lot of wasted time and embarrassment:
- DO write in clear English.
- DO make sure that your Executive Summary is clear and covers all necessary areas.
- DO make sure that your plan is provided in both hard copy and PDF formats.
- DO make sure that you take professional advice where needed.
- DON’T use fancy fonts or overwhelming pictures – the user of the plan wants to get to the point.
- DON’T over engineer the plan – most readers want to get the information they need as quickly as possible.
- DON’T scrimp on the quality of the final document – use decent quality paper, and make sure that the plan is binded in an adequate fashion.
- DON’T abdicate responsibility for your plan, it is essential that you have some input into the document so that you can talk about it credibly, and so that you have reassurance that the plan is realistic.